Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's Earth Day but shhh don't tell the earth let's have it be a surprise!

Happy Earth day Sustainability Members!

While logging on to Twitter This morning I was overwhelmed by all of the Earth Day chatter and promotions circling the web. Everything from Earth Day sales to tips and tricks and even a recipe for an organic cocktail (which I plan on trying later at The B.O.B's Earth Day Weekend event). Of all the chit-chat going on this quote by comedian Jim Gaffigan made me chuckle, "It's Earth Day but shhh don't tell the earth let's have it be a surprise".

But on a serious note I really got to thinking about what I could do to celebrate Earth Day. When I woke up this morning I decided that I would pay close attention to my daily routine and try to find ways I could conserve. Here is a list of things (so far) that I have changed in my schedule to make an impact on Earth Day.

- At the gym this morning after my work out I severely cut back on the amount of paper towel I used to clean my machine

- Instead of throwing away my plastic water bottle when I got home I refilled it for tomorrow

- I turned the water off while I was brushing my teeth

- I actually timed (don't laugh) my shower

- I turned off all the lights in my house except for the room I was in

- I walked instead of drove to lunch

- I have limited the amount of paper towel I use to dry my hands

- I think before I print

I know these don't seem like big deals (and they are probably things I should have been doing anyway) but they are small changes to improve our Earth.

What have you and your business been doing to celebrate Earth Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment